"Little Boxes" The Feeling is Mutual


This song is in someways very similar to my thought process when my family moved Levittown. We moved to Levittown around the time I started high school and I still remember the eerie feeling of discomfort I had when my parents drove me and my little brother to our new home. The two of us had not once seen the house or the neighborhood, the only thing we knew was that we were moving to Levittown and that was it. So when our parents drove us through this neighborhood the only thing that came to my mind was why do these houses all look the same? They were just this surreal nature to the neighborhood that I couldn't place. Now the houses weren't all the same they were variations in small details and there was the occasional house that had been remodeled and stood out from the crowd of sameyness but wow I will probably never forget that feeling and the song sort resonated with me because of that. So in many ways this post may be a little bias because the song's criticism feels like it hits dead on with the way I personally feel about Levittown. The song is very much a critique on the conformity and sameness of these sitcom suburbs and while they aren't as uniform as they once were it is still definitely there. And there was plenty in the reading that reinforced this critique, the fact that only white people were allowed to move into these communities. Communities that were exemplified by shows like Leave it to Beaver.


That Levittown in particular was built with standardized houses.



And that there was a sense of consumer competition between the residents to keep up with their neighbors all sort of snowball into creating this phenomenon.  A phenomenon that has had a lasting impact even until today, something I can attest to with my own personal experience.

Comments

  1. Can't wait to hear more about your first-person experiences! Since it's your parents that made the decision, what do you think THEY would say about Levittown? What was its pull for them? Or was it the push of the city? Or both?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment